Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Golden Shovel?! What's THAT? (Napowrimo Day Five)

Napowrimo tells us Terrence Hayes invented a form of poetry called the golden shovel, in which the new poem's line endings are words from another poem.  I picked, from some short poems quoted, to base mine on nouns, verbs, adverbs, in
                                             First Fig
                                             My candle burns at both ends;
                                             It will not last the night;
                                             But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
                                             It gives a lovely light!
                                            -Edna St. Vincent Millay    
Wish me luck!

ends
               night
friends
               light
candle
foes
                                      burns
both
                                      will / not last
oh
lovely
                                     gives
my
_______________but___________

I take that back...

Lovely is this night, with its candle
burning bright.
Then I hurt my friend, away he goes.
Oh, we will last but one single life
one more night
at a time. Why waste it parting foes?
I'll go to my friend, let me make amends
ere ends the night, for
friendship outshines the brightest light.
                                  -- Shirley Smith Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment