Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

30 Day Journal Challenge, Day 6, Oh, well, hm, I guess I can do THAAAT....

By now we (I-me? Distraction number one, thinking about doing instead of doing! I should use an 'I', really) can see that this month is about motivating one's writer self to 'move off the dime.'  Yep, by yesterday I was telling myself, 'You know, Shirley, probably the biggest problem is procrastination.  So instead of wringing hands over it, you need to name and tame it, and the things that distract, and get over it/them (or, most probably, the right phrasing is, get over yourself.)

The inspiration Lisa quotes today is by Leonard Cohen:

“Ring the bells that still can ring 
Forget your perfect offering 
There is a crack in everything 
That's how the light gets in.”

 Hm, why am I referring to myself with the editorial 'we' so often these days. Instead of over analyzing (distraction number one again), what's interesting about that, let me rather make a plan and move forward.

Distraction number two, a close relative of number one:  perfectionism.  Come on, admit it, how many of us can be first, best, every time?  And who is going to notice the little flaws and scratches one tries so desperately to hide or deny? Get over it!  Move ahead!

Let us, okay, let me let some light in:  I choose to answer today's challenge to
Make a list of 10 things that you can offer right now, imperfectly. 
Yeaaaah, I guess I can do that!  Things I can do imperfectly include:

meet my husband's expectations
bolster the self concept and attitude of my children and Grandchildren
make chocolate chip cookies
remember family and close friend's birthdays.
speak Telugu
publish my writings online.
walk comfortably
keep in touch with friends
visit or gift someone with time, food, a book, companionship for an hour or two
wake up on time
get enough sleep
papercutting art

Ohhh, can I ever do that!!?!  I could go on and on.  But I"ll stop for now, and make an imperfect attempt to do some of today's cooking before family come for a five day visit, and be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment