Total Pageviews

Monday, August 11, 2014

30 Day Journal Project, Day 11: What, a mess?!

“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.” 
 Friedrich Nietzsche

I understand the 'mess' stage of the creative process, and am sometimes flummoxed by a spouse who does not appreciate it when a project at that stage spills over (to his point, I do have a room, desk, and some counter space dedicated to me and my projects)  onto the daily schedule and the dining room table...or when company necessitates clearing that table, no matter what.

But I also know that delaying and/or allowing 'the mess' to accumulate and/or spill over, something like these sentences, can become counterproductive, the search for buried notes and the endless sifting of
notes and papers into genre and categories become overwhelming, leading to repetition of the cycle which is toss, clump, pile, sift, intend...but never getting around to closure unless a deadline looms, and even then falling prey to a glitch or failure of organization grounding the project or submission on the cusp of success.

My granddaughter just showed me a picture of her imagination, but one which might be a reminder and inspiration for me to get on with the organization necessary for being able to enjoy the satisfaction of closure.  A seamstress (unbeknownst to her, my mother was one, par excellence) is flanked by a dress form bearing a dress complete with varicolored scallops, and a towering golden heart.  A golden word
balloon says what she is thinking:  "All done!"

Lord, help me overcome my over disorganization, by your grace, lead me to a place close to my heart, where my work can enjoy completion...and let me recognize when and what that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment