Total Pageviews

Friday, April 18, 2014

Comments Please! Napowrimo 2014 Day Eighteen

Statistics show that tens of people read my blog every day.  So  doesn't anyone have anything to say?  Humility says it's because I've not written anything good...or droll...or memorable...or universal...or what-have-you that grabs--or nudges--you. But still, I am compelled to write.  I hope you, dear reader, will write too, if you will, about anything at all that you find in TLPOP, any little reaction, any little thrill.  Even that you can do better...and share it, if you will...
So, today's challenge by Napowrimo is: "And now for our prompt (optional, as always). Today I challenge you to write a ruba’i. What’s that? Well, it’s a Persian form — multiple stanzas in the ruba’i form are a rubaiyat, as in The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. Basically, a ruba’i is a four-line stanza, with a rhyme scheme of AABA. Robert Frost’s famous poem Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening uses this rhyme scheme."
Really, something that simple, that plain a thought:  I was out for a ride. I stopped to consider snow falling in the woods.  I wondered what my horse thought about my stopping there,--he seemed to sense something out of order.  But that's really all the time I have to think about that.

So, what can I say in a ruba'i or rubaiyat?  Let's try...

Comments Please

When something you thought easy turns out not so,
who will commiserate, where do you go?
When you're up for the day but your body cries 'bed,'
do you do what you should, or heed body instead?

Or is body in bed the most important thing?
What if you need to cry, but the occasion says 'sing'?
When your best friend is revealed as not very nice
and, by implication, you've enabled her vice?

What, when your dream nears your reach, then it fades,
would you say to aspiring lads and maids?
Can you believe possibility lives?
Can you hope? Can you rise? Accept what life gives?

What do you have to say about THAT?
                                         ....Shirley Smith Franklin


No comments:

Post a Comment